1/24/2014

basic nail care tips


I don’t always have time to do my nails while I’m in school. Things get busy and time is precious. I stick with this basic routine to keep my hands and nails looking nice, without having to commit to a lot of time and effort. To keep your nails healthy and strong, follow these 5 basic and fundamental nail care tips.
nail care | marlee and you
1. Remove

Remove any old nail polish with a cotton ball and nail polish remover. (Make sure your remover is for natural nails). I like to keep my nails looking fresh by removing the polish once a week, or when major chipping has occurred.

2. File

Keep your nails trimmed and filed in order to prevent them from splitting, chipping or breaking. When shaping your nails, always file in one direction (not a back-and-forth motion).

3. Push

Use a cuticle pusher to keep your cuticles in check. I use one with a rubber end because it is gentler. This step only takes a matter of seconds but makes all the difference visually. 

4. Moisturize

Many cosmetic brands have great hand-and-nail lotions, which are great for on the go. Also consider using a cuticle oil or cream, especially during winter. I always apply cuticle oil after a shower, before bed and after I’ve used nail polish remover to prevent my cuticles and nails from drying out (which can also lead to chipping). Don’t have cuticle oil on hand? Try using Vaseline!

5. Coat

Always use a base coat! And to seal in your desired colour or design, use a top coat as well. I try to keep a clear coat of polish on my nails even if I don’t want to paint my nails a specific colour. This helps encourage nail growth.

Et voila!
Easy peasy.



10 comments:

  1. Great tips!
    Maybe I should take better care of my nails (:
    Xx Anne
    www.sickchicksblog.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love OPI's top coat!
    Make sure to check out my blog:
    majotron.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Essie base coat is also fantastic! Nail polish adheres really well to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try my best to go to a nail bar at least twice a month but in my own time this is helpful :) Officially one of your followers, could you check out mine & maybe follow ? :) x

    Rebecca,
    http://passionphotography-passionphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great tips! Super helpful post :)

    Christina
    http://kissesandflowers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its amazing how much nail care makes a difference! When I leave mind they become really weak and just not nice, however when I look after them they look so much better! Really great tips here :) thanks!

    Katie xx | Katies World

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely!! I like the rubber end too! haha!
    Keeping hands moisturised is a must for me, so I guess my nails love it too! Thank You!
    xoxo,

    BerryBloomXO.blogspot.co.uk 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great step-by-step guide!

    www.keeping-up-with-katie.blogspot.com

    Katie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips MJ, very helpful!! x

    ReplyDelete