3/16/2014

my thoughts on hair | the big chop

marlee and you
That's right. The big chop. It happened, and I have no regrets. I know of many people who have chopped off their hair lately. For me though, it wasn't for esthetic reasons. This post might be lengthier than most of what I feature on this blog, but I encourage you to take a moment and read what I have to say...

There are some events life throws you that make you take a step back and reflect. For me, one of those moments happened shortly after last Thanksgiving when my twenty-year-old cousin got diagnosed with cancer. It was a huge shock to my entire family.

Very few people have not been effected by cancer in the life of someone they know and love and I'm sure everyone reacts differently. For me, it was hard to accept, then after time, I started thinking how I would react if I were in my cousin's position. Would I be able to keep a positive outlook like he has? 

As vain as it may sound, one of the most heartbreaking thoughts that came to my mind was the possibility that I would lose my hair if I became sick like that. Why was hair something I cared so much about? Well, I didn't quite know, which made me ponder that concept more.

Why do we hold such value in the physical appearance of things like hair?

After examining my own life, it didn't take long for me to decide that I wanted to donate my hair. Why hold on so tightly to something that should truly be of no value to me? I wanted to give the gift of hair to a young girl who needs it way more than I do.

hair donation | marlee and you
Gone with a swift snip
Yesterday I went into a salon and did the big chop. I waited until that specific date because it was my cousin's 21st birthday and I wanted to do this in honor and celebration of that. Within seconds, the long hair that had been a part of me for countless years, was cut off. I was so excited, I couldn't stop laughing and grinning! I have never felt so emotional sitting in a chair at the hairdressers.

I'm sending in two thick ponytails to an organization that will make my hair into a custom wig prosthetic which will be given to a child cancer patient in need (free of charge to them).

before and after | marlee and you
Before and After
Just to make it clear, I'm not writing this post to get praise or show that I did something huge. After all, it takes close to ten hair donations to create a single wig! What I've done is truly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, I just wanted to try and encourage you to think of the things that you value most. What if you could give that valued possession to someone more deserving? It doesn't have to be hair. It could be quality time, anonymous donations, volunteered services... anything really.

I challenge you to reach out of your comfort zone and do something selfless.
Life's short - make the most of it!

-MJ


11 comments:

  1. It looks awesome! I am trying to grow my hair out to donate as well. I have been blessed with thick, red hair and I feel that I should share that blessing!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post! I have a lot of respect for people like you who donate their hair. And the shorter hair looks good on you!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an amazing thing to do- the shorter hair looks great on you!

    beautyolivia.blogspot.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It still looks great short! Such a nice thing to do (=

    Rica Anne | RicAnne

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing post and what a fantastic thing to do. Thank you for sharing! x

    http://rainydaycupcake93.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so nice! I also donated my hair two years ago and I'm planning to do it again soon once my hair grows out. I think I'm going to grow it long and then donate it for the rest of my life hahaha. Short hair looks so good on you!

    -Abby
    www.thesightofmylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic! I already want to chop it off again haha

      Delete
  7. I loved reading this post, thank you so much for sharing! It really is so true how we can hold so much value in something like our hair when it is nothing putting it into perspective. Such a lovely thing to do! :)

    Grace x
    http://www.gracefulmoments.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! i recently took the big chop too, so i know how it feels! it looks FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The big chop looks amazing on you! I recently did the big chop but I went from having 13 inches to be being bald! I actually hosted a Locks of Love hair drive at my school (: I bet it takes no time to do your hair now in the mornings! <3
    ~Makaela at www.makaelassuitcase.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome! I loved reading your post!

      Delete