5/09/2014

a dose of healthy motivation


Last summer I got the sudden urge to participate in a 5k run. This was actually quite ambitious for myself because I have never been a long distance runner and I had no idea where to start! I recruited my boyfriend to run alongside me and it became a 6 week project of ours to train before race day. Although the training sucked and it was incredibly challenging, I was so thrilled with the benefits running had on my body and overall daily energy level!

last year's 5k Color Run

This summer we likely won't be able to participate in an organized run due to scheduling issues, but we're keeping with the running hobby. What I noticed looking back on last year and the few runs we've done this spring, is that we both have this bad habit where we'll snack and binge-eat fatty and unhealthy foods after our runs - what a terrible idea!!

I'm not the type to be concerned about calories or specific ingredients in the food I eat, but I'm well aware of the "junk food" things I should consume less of. I get cravings, have a sweet tooth and like to munch on things when I watch TV. Is there a solution to this? Totally!

(source)

There are plenty of healthy snack options for after a run or workout! Chocolate milk, protein bars, veggies, cheese and crackers, fresh fruit, hard boiled egg, peanut butter... the options are endless! My solution to my eating-junk-food-post-workout habit is quite simple: plan ahead. You gotta make sure you have the healthy snack ingredients bought, ready and easy to prepare after a workout so that it's as little work as opening a bag of chips when you're ready to re-fuel.

Speaking of chips... for those times when the salty cravings just don't want to get lost, try a healthier chip option! I picked up some kettle chips the other day from the natural/organic section of the grocery store to give a try. They're delicious, salty and crunchy and are also some of the least-bad-for-you chips you can buy! So if you're gonna have a junk food day, grab some "more healthy" junk food!

(source)

At the end of the day, my goal isn't to lose weight, burn fat or slim down. I'm quite comfortable in my skin. I just want to become more active and healthy overall in every aspect of life! I believe this is something we should all strive for!

And now, as a side note: Marlee and You has expanded to the Facebook world! You can check out the page by clicking here, or by using the social media button in the sidebar of my blog! Go take a look!

Do you have any fitness goals for the summer months ahead?

-MJ


3 comments:

  1. I just started working out again, so this is great! Thanks for the healthy motivation! :)
    xoxo Chloe | Wanderlust in the Midwest

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I just went through a unhealthy food streak and now I'm looking for motivation to eat right. My only summer goal is to workout 3 times a week and to eat more healthy foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those are great goals! you can totally do it!!

      Delete