5/12/2014

prom look: hair, make-up and nails


prom look | marlee and you
The Look

Even though my prom days are long behind me, I still happened to wind up in the prom season buzz this year! My best friend's little sister asked if I could beautify her for prom, and of course I said yes!  I ended up doing hair, make-up and nails - the works! Surprisingly I'd never done someone else's hair and make-up before, so this was a first for me. I'm quite pleased with how everything turned out! My little prom-goer was looking mighty fine when her date arrived!

prom look | marlee and you
The Hair

I'm pretty confident when it comes to doing my own hair. I'm familiar with my hair type and what I can do to make it look formal and elegant. Doing someone else's hair was definitely a challenge for my first attempt! I'm still not sure how it turned out so well, but we were both please with the results, thank goodness!

I started off by putting the top section of her hair in velcro curlers to add volume to the roots and smooth the hair for a more polished look. Then I curled the bottom layers with my smallest curling wand attachment to get nice tight curls to match the natural curls that were already there. Then I took out the rolers, teased the hair at the crown of her head, secured a nice volumized bump with some bobby pins, then criss-crossed her hair at the back.

prom look | marlee and you
The Make-Up

Make-up was my favourite part of this beauty session! We went for a more natural yet slightly dramatic look with the eye make-up, using shimmery neutral colours with subtle eyeliner and of course, mascara. I added a bit of blush and bronzer to the cheeks before she applied her lipstick and gloss (after this photo).


prom look | marlee and you
The Nails

And lastly, the nails! I did her nails the night before prom, so that they could dry properly and not get smudged and ruined the day of. This saved a lot of time and stress on prom day! We chose a deep purple for the base of the nail, then I used a sponge and gold polish to create an ombre effect up each nail. The final result looked stunning against her golder patterned clutch for the evening!

And there you have it! A complete prom look! My job as a "beauty stylist" was definitely made easy because my "client" was already super beautiful before we even got started for the day! She looked like a million bucks when she finally put on her dress and shoes! Now I can't wait for the next formal occasion so I can do more beautifying - I've found a new hobby!

Prom Tip: wear a loose top when getting hair and make-up done so that you can change into your dress without ruining your look!

Did you create your prom look yourself, with friends, or get everything professionally done?

-MJ


12 comments:

  1. She looked stunning, I loved the makeup! You did a good job :)
    I'm still in high school and, for me, prom is next year so I still don't know what to do, I have a lot of time to decide it! Haha

    camstalks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! I did my own hair for prom, and my friends hair! It's definitely a challenge when they have different textures!

    HCXO

    Kimberly | Kimberly's Chronicle
    Kimberly's Chronicle

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's so pretty! That's such an exciting time, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an amazing job! She looks so pretty! For both of my proms, I had my hair and nails professionally done and had my sister do my makeup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! My sister did my make-up for the two proms I went to too! haha

      Delete
  5. So pretty I love your make-up :) xx

    www.krystelcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job!
    -Abby

    http://thesightofmylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up with Manic Mondays!

    ♥Emma, of It's Emma Elise

    ReplyDelete