7/15/2014

travel hacks: downsizing

travel hacks | marlee and you
(source)

I'm officially leaving for Germany in two and a half weeks which is both super exciting and a smidge stressful to think about! There are still so many things to plan and get in order before I go! I've started organizing and making lists for what I'm going to need to pack. I realized I need to downsize lots of items like crazy in order to save space in my suitcase and make things lighter so that I'll have extra room in order to bring back lots of souvenirs for my family and friends!

The majority of heavy items that I pack are beauty products. Things like lotions and shampoos are all heavy liquids that come in large bottles, making my bag weigh more with the risk of having to pay extra for my luggage on the plane. I needed to find some ways to downsize all of these, so I thought I'd share 3 tips I came up with along the way!

travel hacks | marlee and you

1. Collect mini containers for those products that you won't need a lot of.
I saved my sample containers from LUSH to put some creams in (so that I don't need to bring the whole bottle) and then labeled them with stickers so I would know what is inside! You can also buy a whole assorted package of small bottles and carry-on approved containers, but I'd rather save money and recycle by using what I already had.

2. Switch up your face routine.
I typically do a "cleanse, tone, moisturize" nightly routine with my face, but if I'm going to be traveling and on the go, bringing a washcloth and multiple products isn't very practical. I opted for basic facial wipes to use at the end of the day, just to keep it simple. I'll also use up the entire package throughout my trip so I'll have one less thing to bring home with me!

3. Buy the travel/small sized product.
I have very dry skin and use a lot of body lotion throughout the day, but it didn't make sense for me to bring along a huge lotion bottle when I would only use a fraction of it during the month that I'll be away. I purchased a smaller sized bottle that contains half the amount of product as the large one so that I won't be needing to lug a large and heavier bottle in my suitcase with me!

So those are just a few tips I'll be putting to use when it comes to downsizing for my month abroad. Hopefully you can tuck these in the back of your mind for future use! I'll post some more packing tips as I continue getting my suitcase ready!

Do you have any travel hacks to share?

post signature


3 comments:

  1. Good call on the face wipes. I didn't realize they were such a lifesaver until I traveled to Spain with just a carry-on bag. I also have dry skin, so I always bring some moistrizer in a mini bottle. Another good tip is to bring an empty water bottle to the airport and fill it up at the water fountain. It'll keep you hydrated throughout the flight and saves you money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great tip! Thanks for sharing!!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to a school trip next month for a week, it'll help me a lot when packing! Thank you! :) x

    camstalks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete