10/21/2014

thankfulness


thankfulness | marlee and you
(Photo)

October 13th was the Canadian Thanksgiving Monday. I love the fall season - the colours, the crisp air, the fresh apples to eat... but most of all, I love Thanksgiving. Although the holiday commemorates historical events, it has turned into a bit of an excuse to be glutenous. I'm not going to get too serious about that topic (it's a discussion all on its own), but I found this year at my family gatherings, there was truly lots to be thankful for, besides the giant meal we devoured!

I know every family has its struggles and hardships, but this past year was especially challenging in some ways for us. Last Thanksgiving we found out my 20-year-old cousin had cancer. This was a huge shock to us and the winter was full of surgeries, hospital trips and healing. We found out in April that he was cancer free - a victory my whole family shared! For my cousin's health, I am thankful.

We were reunited with some distant family members this year after the passing of my great aunt. At her funeral, we were able to share stories, learn more about where we come from and grieve together. Our Thanksgiving dinner was held at my great aunt's son's place. It's truly awesome being able to get to know these family members after all these years. For being reunited with long-lost family, I am thankful.

Lastly, one of my cousins had avoided contact with any of our family members for a number of years. At our thanksgiving dinner, my aunt announced that she and her son are now talking and getting together. By Christmas, I'm sure he and his wife and child will be joining us for our celebrations. For future family healing, I am thankful.

I know this isn't the most upbeat post you'll read here on my blog, but I think it's important to share the latest and greatest news in my life. I am so thankful for family and the relationships I have with my relatives. Although this past year wasn't very easy, we all made it through together and were able to celebrate a year of blessings with one another.

What are you most thankful for right now?

post signature


1 comment:

  1. I love this time of year too. The photo is so lovely. I really need to get out with my camera and take some shots of all the beautiful leaves and trees. I wish we had a holiday like thanks giving here in the UK. I love an excuse to get the family together.

    www.quitequaint.co.uk

    ReplyDelete