2/23/2015

food files: German currywurst


Currywurst, Bread and Riesling
I was feeling a little nostalgic a few days ago and wanted to recreate one of the last meals I enjoyed on my study abroad trip to Germany last summer: currywurst. The town of Konstanz was filled with delicious food joints and one shop had a sign that basically said they sold the best wurst, so I had to try it! One of the most effective ways to recall memories is through senses like smell and taste, so I really wanted to get the flavour of this meal right!

I searched for currywurst recipes online and found a handful of good ones. I chose a more basic recipe to use for my first attempt, but the only problem was that it used European measurements instead of cups and teaspoons like I'm used to working with. I'm not 100% sure if my Google measurement conversions were accurate, but if any of you are up for giving this meal a try, my measurements were as follows:

2 c. Ketchup
1 c. Water
1 tbsp. Butter
1 small Onion
1.5 tsp. Paprika
4-5 tsp. Curry

The original recipe can be found here. I ended up with about twice as much sauce as I needed (this is why I suspect my measurements were off), but I know it will keep well to use again. I recommend halving this recipe if you use the measurements I came up with!

Aside from the abundance of leftover sauce, I'd say this recipe was a success! It tasted just how I remember it being in Germany! I sliced up the sausage into a bowl and smothered it with the sauce and served this meal with warm bread and butter - delicious!

Have you successfully recreated a foreign meal?

post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment