7/16/2015

my "unplugging" experience


unplugging | marlee and you
(photo)
One of the to-do items on my summer bucket list this year was to unplug for a day. I tried doing this last summer, but had a difficult time being able to completely distance myself from the internet, my phone and TV for a day. On my recent RV road trip, I "unplugged" fully for one whole day and partially for the entire trip. This was a really positive experience! I enjoyed certain elements of my day and learned a lot about my dependance on technology.

When I was unplugged, I found I had more time to do things. It was hard at first because all I wanted to do was check my phone and see if I had texts or what was new on instagram, but as soon as you actually turn your phone off and leave it somewhere out of reach, things get a lot easier. I noticed that I constantly use my phone to check the time. I know a lot of people do that, but it was especially nice while on vacation to just forget about time and go with the flow of the day.

I kept my phone off for the majority of the trip aside from the times when I texted my mom updates about my day. The lack of technological distractions lead to some awesome conversations with people and my desire to stay unplugged grew.

The biggest benefit from consciously trying to avoid my cellphone was the fact that I now don't depend on it as much. I've been home from my trip for almost two weeks now and I still find myself wanting to avoid constant cell phone checking and facebook scrolling. I actually spend less time online and more time reading and enjoying my hobbies distraction free. I know unplugging while I'm away camping might not count as a true unplugging experience because I was away from most of life's conveniences, but it's inspired me to be more present in everyday life. This won't be the last time I unplug!

Could you live without your cellphone?

post signature


3 comments:

  1. I've been saying I would do this for months..We are going away for a weekend in August and I think I need to do it then... maybe sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I unplug every year when we're on holiday, a week long no phone/tablet/tv/laptop and internet.

    ReplyDelete